Return of the Pro-Life Feminist


<3 Sarah!

Did you know that feminists used to be pro-life? Prominent names like Susan B Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Mary Wollstonecraft were all pro-life. Abortion used to be viewed as a tool men used to abuse women. 'Cause it's sex without consequences. If you can get your girlfriend to abort every time she gets pregnant, there's no reason to not abuse her if you can always erase your mistake.

From Dictionary.com:
Feminism: the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.

Somewhere along the legitimate path to equal rights, we got the notion that "equal rights" means "same results". But it doesn't. There will always be a greater percentage of men in Congress than women. Why? Because there are more men running for Congress. Why? Because men and women are different.

Shocker, I know.

I'm a bit of a tomboy. I like to be "tough" and typically am more comfortable around a bunch of guys--whether we're playing hacky-sac, talking politics, or watching football (which I actually don't like, but whatever)--than I am around a bunch of girls. I want to have a career and, once I'm kicked out of my shell, I like to lead. (I struggled for a long time with the concept of men taking biblical leadership, but that's a topic for another time.) I am, at first glance, the stereotypical example of the modern-day feminist. Except for my horrific beliefs that women shouldn't be allowed to dismember their own children (le ghasp). And that I actually like it (or, more accurately my heart melts) whenever a gentleman opens the door for me, whether he's a burly truck driver (true story) or a four-year-old boy (also true). And that I will not kiss any male except my brother and father before my wedding day (suppression, suppression!!). And that I do want to get married and not use birth control and have kids (some perhaps by adoption) and homeschool them (horror, destruction, meyhem, overpopulation, brainwashing!!!).  

Okay, so I'm not the stereotypical example of a modern-day feminist.

I should be, though. Women and men should (mostly--there are some messy exceptions) be given the same options. But being given the option doesn't mean you are capable of following that option. A woman can choose the option of graduate school without having kids--unless she gets pregnant. Once you've screwed up your own option, you can't hurt someone else to get it back. That should be illegal.

Don't confine people to stereotypes, but don't expect the stereotypes to not exist in the majority. There's a reason the stereotype became the stereotype.

We tell men all the time to "man up". You were made to lead. Now stand up and LEAD. Why don't we tell the women to "woman up"? You were made to nurture. Now stand up and NURTURE.

I leave you now with one of my new favorite comedians, Brad Stine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are free to disagree with views expressed in the posts, or in the comments, and you're free to express your disagreement. But please do so showing respect both towards me and towards the other commenters. Any comments that are not deemed respectful and/or contain profanity will be deleted. You ARE free to critique me, whether on grammar or ideas or what seems to be faulty information. I'm human, and I make mistakes too!

Thanks for commenting.